Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Where, oh where, did my big ol bass go?

As the semester draws to a close so does B Flat's Blues. I've got it written to the point where I don't feel that I need to add much more to it to make it complete. That being said, I realized after I had it played in class last week one major thing I am missing from my piece. . . the double bass. It's come to my attention that the poor ol' bass is out for almost 30 bars of the work, which so far is only 100 measures long. Needless to say it was recommended by my classmates that I devise a way to fix this, and I whole heatedly agree. The bass just kinda goes along when it is playing doing a walking bass figure which gets really old, so I'm gonna add a section in the middle featuring the double bass as a soloist, and re-wirte some of the other lines to make them a little more interesting, and less predictable. Other then the bass issue my piece is coming along nicely, the balance problems seem to be totally gone, and to make sure of this I've included a more dynamics to guide the performers. Oh, and the section I have at the end left people wanting more, it's figure that repeats three times so I didn't really plan to drag out any more then that, but because it's liked so well by everyone, myself included I'm going to do something with it to give it a litte more air time. Maybe i'll incorperate into the bass solo or something. I'm gona go work on it now and see what I come up with.

Untill next time!
NB

1 comment:

Clark Ross said...

Great! Looking forward to hearing the final product!