Wednesday, November 12, 2008

B Flat's Blues (Musical Cliches round 2)

After the feedback I had received on my first attempt at writing a musical cliche I rewrote a lot of my piece. I made a new introduction that clearly established the twelve bar blues cliche and tried a few different things to both give the piece a slightly more unexpected feel and to fix the balance issues. This resulted in something that worked out quite well, the piece was much better received this time by my colleagues, and I am also much happier with it. The latest suggestion I received was to add in a pointillistic section, I'm not totally sure why? but when I tired writing it into my piece I came up with something that works well and sounds pretty cool, which I must admit is a little on the surprising. I'm still trying to decide where I should take the piece next, right now I'm at about half the required length. I've not yet wrote a tenor or bass solo so I think thats going to come soon.

That'll be it for now.
NB

1 comment:

Clark Ross said...

You wrote: "The latest suggestion I received was to add in a pointillistic section, I'm not totally sure why? but when I tired writing it into my piece I came up with something that works well and sounds pretty cool, which I must admit is a little on the surprising."

One of the things I like about you, Neil, is that you are open to trying new things. That's an important quality in being a composer, I think. I'm not sure if I suggested the pointillism thing, or if somebody else did, but the point is that you gave it a try even though you weren't really sure that it was a good idea, which is great.

Looking forward to hearing the latest version of your piece!