Sunday, November 30, 2008

Final Blog (for now)

I've been thinking for a while now on writing a blog on what goes through my head when I compose. I thought it could be a neat way of helping myself see what I do and what I could improve on, as well as sharing with others an insight into my way of doing things. After we played my final piece at the composition concert I recieved a lot of feedback regarding how 'fun' my piece and it left thinking, why?
Then it hit me, no matter what I write I always strive for something that at the end of the day I can honestly say 'that's my music, and I like it.' In composing based on the 12 bar blues cliche I wanted mess around with some of the typical elements of the idiom and make it my own. Like instead of sharing solos the clarinet and trumpet have a section where they are competing for who's the feature. Also, I used a plunger mute at one point and had Heidi open it slowing creating a "waa' sound. I only did it cause I thought it'd sound cool, and luckily that's the way it was received (it's hard not to smile when in the middle of playing your own piece you hear positive laughter).

For anyone who is ever thinking of taking this course with Dr. Ross I highly reccomend it (and no, this isn't an attempt at earning browny points, though if it works, then i'll roll with it).
But honestly I found this course teaches you to take an idea or set of guidelines that you may not be pleased with (such as writing atonaly) and finding a way to write something that both satisfies them and yourself. That to me was what I got the most out of in this class.

I've already started thinking of some ideas for my next composition, I've kinda got myself hooked on it now, who knows what will develope over the holidays and into the new year when my next course in composition begins.

If this blogging is required for that course then stay tuned for future updates!
Neil

No comments: