Monday, November 24, 2008

Me thinks it be done . . . almost

I finished some of the final touches on my blues cliche composition tonight. After a quick fight with sibelius (I won, of course) I was able to fix some editing issues that plagued visual presentation of the work. I also added in the remaining dynamic details to guide the performers a bit more in how I want the piece shaped. I also changed around a couple notes in the pointelistic section just to make it a little more unexpected. There are two things still outstanding for this work. First it was suggested that I have the trumpet play with a mute, and that I should meet with trumpeter Heidi to see which one I want to use. I'm thinking a harmon, or a cup, and there's also a section where I want to use either a plunger, or a harmon with the stem in to get a "wa wa" sound.
The other thing I'm not sure of is the end of the piece. For some reason it's just not sitting with me. It works, and will remain as written for the sake of this concert but its something I can see myself going back to and expanding on maybe over the holidays.

We've got a great concert coming up, I can't wait to here what the current final version of my piece sounds like.

NB

2 comments:

Clark Ross said...

Congrats on being done, or at least almost-so! I am also really looking forward to hearing everyone's music at the concert; should be a great show.

Robbie b said...

Man
I'd sure like you on my team as I taken on the evil sebelius. Some of that stuff is tricky!

I am pumped to hear your piece completed. Possibly a sneak peak friday in class?
It's great to see what you've come up with in your piece because I remember having a conversation with you earlier the semester about how you wanted to write something that you would listen to. And I think that's great, because quite honestly I find myself my worst critique, so if you've managed to impress yourself you must have a pretty dandy composition!