Thursday, September 18, 2008

For lack of a better name (Character piece #1)

Yesterday myself and Kim played the first of three character pieces that I have written based on the chord progression I came up with last week. I wrote it for alto sax and piano and I focused on using a lot musical space to help create the requested feeling of rhythmic timelessness. I was successful in doing so, and the effective use of space was noted by classmates and Dr. Ross (class instructor). I was asked what the character I had intended for my piece was and I drew a blank, completely forgetting that the point of the assignment was to write a "character piece." That being said when I was writing the music I focused on the lower range of the alto sax, and this in combination with my use of space gave the piece a character my colleagues described as sneaky and mysterious/mischievous. The use of varying texture between the piano and sax, as well as the balance of the two parts was noted, and it was recommended that in my next variation I try adding more the piano part, so that each hand is playing more then just one or two notes at a time. This would make better use the capabilities of the piano.

I surprisingly am really happy with what I wrote, what comes next should be interesting.
NB

1 comment:

Clark Ross said...

Good journal entry - looking forward to hearing more of your music!