Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Character Piece #2

Last week myself and Kim played the my second character piece for composition class. The piece went quite well, though we did play it under tempo as it is supposed to go quite fast and this will require more practice on both our behalves . Some of the feedback I received about it included that it was light and playful, with nice interactions between the piano and saxophone. It was also noted that piece had an air of tonality to it but was clearly not tonal. Also the final chord in the piece is actually a tonal chord (Ab7) which I had not picked up on because of the mixture of sharps and flats in the chord. I'm not yet finished writing this piece and feel that it could go almost double the length There are some thematic ideas in the beginning and middle that I plan on reusing and expanding upon, which will hopefully add greatly to the music. I'm also planning on adding more to the piano, I had underestimated Kim's capabilities, and knowing now that she can play music more difficult then I wrote will allow me to add more depth to my music, which is exciting.

That's it for now, Thanks for reading!

NB

1 comment:

Clark Ross said...

Good journal entry. I've had many similar experiences to what you describe, where realizing how good a performer is frees up your compositional options.

My general advice about this is to write what you want, even if you think it might be too hard on the performer, and then see what happens. If it is too hard, you can always revise the music to make it a bit easier, but lots of times you discover that it isn't too hard.