Sunday, February 1, 2009

Rise of the Xaphoon

My latest composition is coming along quite nicely. While it still lacks any realisation I did at least manage to come up with a title for it. The idea for "Rise of the Xaphoon" comes from the way the Xaphoon emerges after a chaotic crash in the beginning of the piece. Friday past myself and a few colleagues played my piece in class and I got a lot of feedback. The way the xaphoon comes out of the clash works quite well. The following recomendations were made: 1) Try expanding the upper and lower range of the piano to the extreems, and use 2 two hands together more often. 2) Explore the idea of using a preapared piano. 3) The trombone can go a lot lower then what I've got written.
We are required to include an alletoric element I wrote a section where the clarinet and xaphoon are improsing, but after I heard it acutally being played in class I deiced that I'm going to remove that part of the piece as it's to much freedom given and not enough control.
Because the NewFound Music Festival happened this week composer in residence Larysa Kuzmenko was also present in class and she recommended I try and outline a clearer phrase structure to get more an antecdent/consequent feel to my music.

I'm still kinda frustrated with the piece and am not really sure why. I'm sure I'll figure it out, it's just gonna take time.

NB

No comments: