Sunday, February 8, 2009

Not quite stuck, just kinda missing something

My composition is coming along pretty good so far. I had it played in class Friday past and it went o.k. Dr. Scott Godin was there and he gave me a few ideas for improving the overall look of the work. I incorperate a large crash section in the early middle of the piece where the piano, clarinet, and trombone play really loudly on material that is meant to create a lot of tension. This is followed by a soft melody in the xaphoon as it is first introduced to the piece. Dr. Godin recomended not using standard notation for the last part of the crash, instead giving dynamic markings and letting the pianst play whatever notes they wanted as long as it was in an ascending pattern. I like this idea, it would probably add more tension, which is what I am looking for, and at the same time cover the requirement of having limited alletorism (as set by the class guidelines for this project).
I've also got to go back and fix some of the notation to make it easier to read. The final suggestion was to make use of the two hands of the piano playing at the same time. This is something I've been told before and have yet to incorperate, but I'm going to do that now before the next time I present it.

As far as I'm concerned I like what I have written but theres something missing from it. That one little elusive thing that I just can't put my finger on that seems to be holding this piece back. In trying to figure out what it was I went back and looked at some of my previous compositions and I realised that Rise of the Xaphoon does not make use of any melodic space what soever. I think thats the problem and I'm going to experiment with the material to see if I can remold it into something I'm truely happy with.

Cheers!
NB

No comments: